Simple AD is a standalone managed directory which provides a subset of the features offered by AWS Managed Microsoft AD, including the ability to manage user accounts and group memberships, create and apply group policies, securely connect to Amazon EC2 instances, and provide Kerberos-based single sign-on (SSO).
- can be provisioned as Small supporting up to 500 users (approximately 2,000 objects including users, groups, and computers)
- can be provisioned as Large supporting up to 5,000 users (approximately 20,000 objects including users, groups, and computers)
- Daily automated snapshots enable point-in-time recovery.
Use Cases for Simple AD
- where advanced features are not required
- where user volumes do not exceed 5000 users
- allow access to AWS applications such as Amazon WorkSpaces, Amazon WorkDocs, or Amazon WorkMail.
Use Cases for not using Simple AD
- multi-factor authentication (MFA)
- trust relationships with other domains
- Active Directory Administrative Center
- PowerShell support
- Active Directory recycle bin
- group managed service accounts
- schema extensions for POSIX and Microsoft applications
- Amazon AppStream 2.0
- Amazon Chime
- Amazon RDS for SQL Server
- AWS Single Sign-On
- for small Simple AD price is $36 per month ($0.05 per hour)
- for small Simple AD price is $108 per month ($0.15 per hour)
- free of charge when used with Amazon WorkSpaces, WorkDocs or WorkMail if you have at least one active user for small directories each month or at least 100 active users for large directories each month
- none (the clue is in the name)