What is Global Accelerator?
Global Accelerator is a AWS service that allow your customers to connect to your services via the nearest AWS location and thereafter the traffic is routed globally as required within the AWS network.
- up to 60% improvement in user performance
- automatic routing optimizations keep packet loss, jitter, and latency consistently low
- two static IP anycast addresses
- configuration tool to route traffic from the anycast address to your service endpoints
- reduced latency
- faster failover between application origins
- another layer of security as load balancers are behind the two static IPs which are protected from DDoS attacks with AWS Shield
- can use end point weights feature to implement blue/green deployments
Use Cases for Global Accelerator
- improving global access to single region deployments
- routing traffic to nearest regional endpoint in multi-region deployments (can add new region on the fly and get the benefit without any negative impact on users)
- online gaming (UDP routing)
- Voice over IP services SIP/RTC/RTP traffic offering faster calls set up and more reliable connections
This service is a bit like a standard Global Load Balancer on Google Cloud.