AWS Database Migration Service (AWS DMS) is a cloud service that makes it easy to migrate relational databases, data warehouses, NoSQL databases, and other types of data stores to migrate data into the AWS Cloud or between combinations of cloud and on-premises setups
- automatically manages the deployment, management, and monitoring of all hardware and software needed for the migration
- the migration can be up and running within minutes of starting the AWS DMS configuration process.
- scale up or scale down the migration resources as needed to match your actual workload demands
- uses a pay as you go model
- manages all of the infrastructure that supports the migration server, including hardware and software, software patching, and error reporting
- automatic failover such that if the primary replication server fails, a backup replication server can take over with minimal interruption of service.
- supports many data sources, including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Db2 LUW, SAP, MongoDB, and Amazon Aurora.
- supports target engines including Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Amazon Redshift, SAP ASE, Amazon S3, and Amazon DynamoDB.
- data at rest is encrypted with AWS Key Management Service encryption
- With AWS DMS, you pay only for the resources you use.
- The AWS DMS replication instance that you create will be live and will incur the standard AWS DMS usage fees for the instance until terminated.
- AWS DMS is available on the AWS free usage tier.