AWS ElastiCache: Memcached or Redis
Last Updated : 28-Feb-2021
- open-source compatible in-memory data store.
- boost the performance of your existing databases by retrieving data from high throughput and low latency in-memory data stores.
- ideal for real-time use cases like Caching, Session Stores, Gaming, Geospatial Services, Real-Time Analytics, and Queuing
- choose Redis or Memcached depending on your use case
- high performance: in memory data store proving sub millisecond response times
- fully managed
- scalable with scale out, and up with sharding for writing and replicas for reading
- Sub-millisecond latency
- easy to user
- data partitioning
- multiple programming language support
Memcached Only Features
- multi-theaded architecture
Redis Only Features
- Advanced data structures
- Geospatial support
- Lua script support - Lua is a fast programming language used for games, web applications and image processing
- Pricing is per hour based on usage.
- Around 30 different standard node types are available from cache.t2.micro with 1 vCPU and 0.5GiB at $0.017 per hour to cache.m6g.16xlarge with 64 vCPU and 209GiB and 25 Gigabit network performance at $3.112 per hour on demand.
- Around 20 different memory optimized node types are available from cache.r4.large with 2 vCPU and 12.3GiB and 10GiB network performance at $0.228 per hour to cache.r6g.16xlarge with 64 vCPU and 419GiB and 25 Gigabit network performance at $6.567 per hour on demand.
- Reserved pricing is available on a 1 or 3 year basis with no upfront, partial upfront or full upfront pricing with discounts between 29% and 36% for a 1 year term and 47% to 55% for a 3 year term.
Using Template: Template Post